The Medical Center of Elberton was formed in 1950 by John B. O’Neal, M.D. Over the years, the practice grew and the original building was added on to two times to accommodate the needs of local patients. The initial practice was located at 33 Chestnut Street, which is across the street from Elbert Memorial Hospital.
Of the four current partners, Glenn S. Poon, M.D. was the first to join The Medical Center in 1977, followed by J. Daniel McAvoy, M.D. in 1981, followed by R. David Mize, M.D. in 1984, and then by Mark L. Daniel, M.D. in 1988.
In 1999, the four partners made a dream become a reality by building our current facility located at 109 College Avenue, only one block from Elbert Memorial Hospital. The new facility is designed to meet the needs of The Medical Center’s patients by providing a state-of-the-art facility, improved parking, improved patient flow, and a better location.
In the summer of 2001, The Medical Center of Elberton took another leap ahead by implementing an Electronic Medical Records System to streamline our operations with the practice of medicine. In November of 2004, the physicians applied for Rural Health Clinic status. We are an NHSC approved clinic.
Our physicians are faculty members at the new medical college in Athens (GHSU/MCG)
The Medical Center of Elberton has taken a progressive stance to practicing medicine, while continuing to provide the same compassionate quality of care that has been the foundation of the organization since 1950.